Monday, April 15, 2013

A to Z: M


Migraines

Migraines run in my family. I was lucky enough not to get them until my mid-20's. My sister, for example, has had them since her teens. They are horrible.

I had a migraine yesterday for the first time in about a year and a half. It snuck up on me because I'm not used to the warning signs any more. Suddenly, I was so light and sound sensitive I had to completely separate myself and throw a pillow over my head for about three hours.

I haven't had a migraine in so long because I had a particular procedure done in September of 2011. I had my occipital nerves blocked by receiving injections through my neck with the help of an x-ray and some numbing shots. They couldn't knock me out because I was pregnant, so it was continue suffering, or suck it up and get it done.

(I found a perfect photo for this, but it's watermarked copyright, so I'm going to play it safe and leave that one alone. If you're interested, you can google occipital nerve block, or go to this link http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/occipital%20nerve)

I am so happy I got it done. Even my migraine yesterday didn't touch the back or top of my head where the nerves reach. There was pressure, letting me know if I could feel them, I would, but even the pressure wasn't painful.

This migraine settled into my forehead and up through my hairline. A sinus migraine, most likely, with Spring breaking into the air. I'm on medication that can inspire headaches as well, and since I'm already primed for them, I suppose it isn't too surprising.

They suck, though, as I'm sure you know if you have them. I hope it isn't going to become a regular thing. I'm not sure there's a similar shot for sinus migraines. If there is, though, sign me up, please!