Thursday, April 4, 2013

A to Z: D


I was hoping I would have puppies to talk about, but as it is, it's all about the big
Dogs

I've had dogs most of my life. My first dog was an Alaskan Malamute named Belle and we got her when I was 11 or 12. Having her taught me to always learn about the breed before you buy. This poor dog was chained up in the back yard most of the time because she was too big for the house. She was also strong and could bust a cow-chain. All the cops in the county knew our dog.

When I was in college deciding to get my own dog, I did a lot of research into dogs - energy levels, grooming requirements, if they were good apartment dogs, how they were with people - and I ended up choosing a boxer, Chiaotzu. (Strange name, I know. Pronounced Chat-zu.)

I loved him so much, I decided I was going to start breeding these fantastic dogs. Since then, we got Rukia, our brindle mama. And to keep them company, the terrier-mutt, Rambo Roy joined their family.


Chiaotzu is 9, getting up there, but not too old yet. Unfortunately, he had an ACL tear a few years ago and since then the scar tissue and arthritis has built up to the point he re-injured himself this last February. He may have to hang up his hat for puppy making, which means this trio will become four because I am emotionally attached to the idea of having one of his babies. We will see how he heals and what the vet says. As much as I love the puppies, I'm in it because of this dog, and I want to keep him around as long as possible.

14 comments:

  1. They must keep you busy especially as you are considering expanding your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do pretty well by themselves, but it certainly can be a challenge, particularly when we want to go on vacation.

      Delete
  2. Maybe when you get to the letter "P" you'll have PUPPIES! :)

    Puppy Pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'll have them up before then. I'll figure out how to jam it into the alphabet requirement somehow.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, your dogs are adorable! One of my boyfriend's best friends has a boxer, and that's what we're thinking about getting once we get moved in together. They are such fantastic dogs. :-)

    Kayla at Bibliophilia, Please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I have people come to me for puppies who have had other dogs and I tell them, once you have a boxer, you won't ever want another dog. They are just amazing dogs.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely photo of your gorgeous dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. :) We probably have as many photos of them sleeping in their dog piles as we do of our boys as babies sleeping.

      Delete
  5. Those are good looking dogs. Do you blog about them often?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I don't blog about them much unless they coincide with something I want to write about my boys. That will change a bit with the puppies on the way, and who knows? Maybe they'll become regular guests after that.

      Delete
  6. My dog (and cat) makes semi-regular appearances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I don't blog about them so much because I have a Facebook group page for all my puppy owners, and that's where I spread my tales. I just don't think to duplicate them here.

      It's great that you include your pets. They're usually involved in what we do, so why not give them that attention?

      Delete
  7. My two Beagles were my "B" post, but I could have easily continued on to write about dogs for "D". My daughter says dog crazy doesn't even begin to describe me! Visiting from A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dog crazy is a good kind of crazy. ;-) My grandma bred beagles. They're cute and smart. Grandpa hunted with the male, even.

      Delete

I <3 Comments