Monday, July 23, 2012

Calliope - Snapshot Reveal

What a photo this week. I can't wait to see what our blogging friends writing serial stories do with this one. We'll know by Wednesday, though, when a new prompt goes up.

Add your own Snapshot story to the original post. And don't forget, we are also looking for photo submissions to help inspire.

Just don't leave before reading what I've come up with.

-----------------------

Calliope

"Oh, this is perfect!"

Lily hissed in pain, glaring at Nana as she nursed skin pricked by the brooch she'd been admiring.

"Lily, come here. I've found the perfect thing for your room." Lily put pressure on the wound in her finger, crossing the cluttered isle.

"What is it?"

"This!" Lily gaped at the huge thing her grandmother was presenting to her, arms open as wide as her smile

Colorful Calliope in Asbury Park"Nana, no." The smile collapsed.

"Why not?"

"It's a calliope. A noise-maker - a loud one. And there's no way it will fit in my room."

"Oh, of course it won't, not as it is. But look at how pretty it is, Lily. It even has flowers on it. We'll just take this front piece. You can hang it on your wall. And see all these holes? Perfect for photos of your friends."

Friends I won't have any more if you put this in my room, Lily thought. Honestly, her pride was at stake.

Nana was running her hands over the carved wood, peaking behind it and muttering to herself about how to take the front panel off. As she shifted it, a disturbed cockroach scuttled across the floor. It had probably just laid eggs in the thing.

"You know Mom would throw a fit," Lily tried, jumping out of the way of the insect.

"You think?"

"Oh, yeah. She won't want you to spend so much money on me, especially on something like that. I'm going to college soon. It's not exactly something I can take to a dorm."

"No," Nana frowned, running her fingers down the row of bright flowers. "No, I guess not. It's a shame, though. It really is perfect, don't you think?"

Lily shuddered. "Come see the table of brooches."

"Ooh, anything good?" Nana asked, linking her arm with Lily's to go look at the jewelry.

6 comments:

  1. Nicely done! You got almost all the words in the first few sentences--not an easy thing to do with this picture and those words (I had the same thought when thinking about putting that in someone's room...the thought of no way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I found it easier this week to just get the words out of the way. Cockroach stumped me for a bit,getting added and deleted a few times before settling in.

      Have I mentioned I hate cockroaches? HATE them. I have nightmares about them.

      Delete
  2. Are we supposed to be writing a continuing - serial - story with all the prompts or something new each week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a personal choice. It's not against the rules, anyway. It started with Tena*, then Nicole** decided to give it a try. I prefer to write something new each week. Frankly, I need the practice of writing tight scenes that have a beginning and an end.

      * jottingsandwritings.wordpress.com
      ** theworldofmyimagination.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. This is interesting. Wish I could join but my schedule's pretty skewed up right now. I enjoy reading these though.

    By the way, I'm passing to you the Liebster award. You can get it here:

    http://anne-writersspace.blogspot.com/2012/07/awards-and-more-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne! I'll head over to check it out.

      I almost didn't write one this week, either. My life has been so out of control. I decided to make time for it, anyway because it's a bit of my normal routine I could hold on to.

      Delete

I <3 Comments