Tuesday, November 1, 2011

NaNoWriMo - Not This Year, Unfortunately.

I may have completely forgot I have a blog. I didn't really get online all weekend, actually, and in the process forgot all the things I keep up with on a usual day. Well, luckily someone posted a comment and jarred me back to reality, so here I am. :)

Today is the first day of NaNoWriMo. I just found out about it three weeks or so ago when I saw people starting to talk about it through Google+ posts. I became curious since it was obviously about writing but didn't actually look into it until the beginning of last week.

Ooh, did I want to do it. 50,000 words in one month is just my sort of challenge. I once challenged myself in high school to take my Spring Break to write a whole mini-novel. I don't remember how many words it ended up being. Back then, it wasn't about the words, it was about the story, which was not such a bad thing, come to think about it. Anyway, I did it. My mom thought I was crazy, that I should be out doing things rather than spending all my time on the computer. It was something I wanted to do and I did it.

Unfortunately, that will not be the case this time around. I debated all week about participating, but I kept coming back to the same reasons not to. First, I'm about knee deep into another story right now, the second book to one I had finished early in the year and spent most the summer editing and revising. Also, I'm about half-way through my second pregnancy and this one is kicking me all over the place. I'm either not feeling well, or I'm super exhausted. As much as I would love to say I could work around it, I'm not thinking I could with all my other responsibilities.

I am, however, set to participate in NaNoWriMo next year. In fact, I'm probably going to wrestle my husband into doing it with me. He's been talking about writing a humorous book for dad's ever since I was pregnant with our first son. NaNoWriMo may be just what he needs to kick start the process, even if that's not what he ends up working on.

This year I get to observe, mostly through Google+, as people post their daily progress, or lack thereof. Having just discovered the event, I suppose it's for the best. As much as I love challenges, I like to be fully prepared for them. This year, the time just wasn't there for me, but next year I'll know to make time work for me.